Chapter 7

Chapter 7 was about wireless networking, the technology behind it, and the security concepts used to prevent cyber-attacks. Prior to reading this chapter I was not aware of the history of wireless devices. If asked, I would’ve guessed that wireless telephones were invented in the 90s, but surprisingly the first generation of wireless telephones were introduced in the late 70s. I didn’t get a phone until the third generation, around 2009, and I got my first smartphone that could do everything around 2013, which by then would have been using fourth generation technology. It’s amazing to consider the exponential pace at which this technology developed in my lifetime, and how advanced it will get moving forward. The wireless technology described in this chapter includes WiFi and Bluetooth, two technologies that most people are familiar with out of necessity. Many people, however, don’t know the multitude of ways that hackers can get their information over the network. The chapter describes several methods such as over-the-shoulder, man-in-the-middle, and evil twin attacks. Each method relies on the user either being careless with the information they display in public or failing to use an encrypted connection to the network. This is why it is important to always use a password protected access point that you know and trust. I found the bit about router security helpful as I’d like to keep my home WiFi as secure as possible.

< Previous | Appendix A | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 9 | 10 | Next >